Greetings all! Last week, Nicholas’ theme was Thirteen Things that are better than the original. And it got me to thinking. What things do I know that are better than the original? There weren’t many, but I did manage to come up with Thirteen Covers that are better than the original. You may disagree with me, but it’s my list so there. I am having some technical difficulties trying to get MP3’s attached so I gave up. You’ll just have to take my word for it.
1. MacArthur Park. Donna Summer version is better than the Richard Harris version. But that isn’t saying much. And sadly, this is the second time I have referenced that song in my blog.
2. Always Something There to Remind Me. Naked Eyes infinitely better than Dionne Warwick.
3. I’m a Believer. Smash Mouth is better than the Monkees.
4. Live and Let Die. Sorry all you fans of Sir Paul, but the Guns and Roses version is better.
5. Shameless. Garth Brooks is better than Billy Joel. How it pains me to say that, but it is true.
6. Big Yellow Taxi. Counting Crows is as good as Joni Mitchell.
7. Sweet Jane. Cowboy Junkies are far superior to Velvet Underground. Sorry.
8. Hazy Shade of Winter. The Bangles are better than Simon and Garfunkel.
9. Hurt. Johnny Cash hits this one out of the park. Trent Reznor, not so much.
10. Mustang Sally. The Commitments are better than Mack Rice or Wilson Pickett.
11. (All I have to do is) Dream. This one is obscure, but The Nylons do a fabulous cover of this Everly Brothers classic.
12. The Road Goes on Forever. Robert Earl Keen is good, but Joe Ely is better. But they’re in a band together, so it’s all good.
13. Black Magic Woman. Santana defines this song. Fleetwood Who?
And there you have it. Your mileage may vary. Disagree? Then let’s take this to the comments section like civilized bloggers.
Do you have a Thursday Thirteen? Play along here.